A trusted ingredient for people with oily or acne-prone skin is salicylic acid. It is a topical medication that contains beta-hydroxy acid (BHA), which is used to address skin-related problems. It is a member of the class of medications known as keratolytic agents. Salicylic acid has the capacity to penetrate the skin deeply. Because of this, it is an effective acne treatment that also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and dissolves dead skin cells that block pores. Salicylic acid can be applied topically by acne sufferers to help clear up and prevent pimples and skin blemishes. It is also used to treat skin ailments like psoriasis, which causes red, scaly patches to form on various parts of the body; ichthyoses (inborn diseases that cause the skin to become dry and scaley); dandruff; corns, calluses, and warts on the hands or feet; and corns and calluses. Salicylic acid applied topically treats acne by reducing swelling and redness and clearing blocked skin pores so that pimples can contract.
What are the benefits of Salicylic acid?
- Unclogs and cleanses pores: Salicylic acid helps to clear blocked pores and prevent further blockage.
- Removes dead skin cells: By dissolving the excess oil, and trapped sebum, it gently exfoliates the dead skin cells.
- Reduces oil: It aids in reducing excessive sebum and oil production.
- Prevents comedones: By concentrating on them directly and preventing their return to the skin's surface, it stops the growth of whiteheads and blackheads.
- Decreases inflammation: Anti-inflammatory properties of salicylic acid help relieve acne redness and irritation.
How to use Salicylic Acid?
Topical salicylic acid can be applied to the skin or scalp in the form of cleansers, creams, lotions, liquids, gels, ointments, or shampoos. Topical salicylic acid may be used frequently (up to several times per day), infrequently (up to several times per week), or precisely as instructed, depending on the condition being treated and the medication being administered. Initially, if you are using topical salicylic acid to treat your acne, your skin may become dry or irritated. By using the product less frequently at first and gradually increasing its application once your skin has adapted to the therapy, you can prevent the irritation and dryness. Apply a small amount of the salicylic acid product to one or two small areas you want to treat for three days while using this topical treatment for the first time. Skin that is swollen or broken should not be treated with salicylic acid.
How to indulge Salicylic Acid in skincare routine for oily and acne-prone skin?
- Salicylic Acid Facewash: With 2% Salicylic acid, Salyzap Daily Face Cleanser is a soap-free anti-acne face wash that effectively treats acne while being gentle on the skin. It exfoliates the keratinized skin and cleans the pores of superfluous sebum rather than robbing the skin of its natural oils.
- Salicylic Acid Daytime Gel: Salyzap Daytime Gel can be used to get rid of blackheads, whiteheads, and aggressive acne. It is a formulation that effectively treats acne during the day without reacting to the environment outside. By preventing the skin from being greasy, this oil-free spot-treatment gel provides the face a matte appearance.
- Salicylic Acid Night Lotion: Salyzap Night Lotion by Fixderma is a moisturising and mildly exfoliating composition that aids in the removal of blackheads and whiteheads while also maintaining the balance of oil on acne-prone skin. It is specially developed for use at night and reduces acne and extra sebum overnight.
- Salicylic Acid Exfoliator: The alternate day skin cleanser- Peelonate AHA is a unique formulation that gently exfoliates and eliminates dirt and debris from the skin. This exfoliating cleanser, which is enriched with Salicylic acid and Acnacidol BG, thoroughly cleans the pores of oil and surface accumulation without irritating the skin. It is made specifically for oily and acne-prone skin and keeps the skin calm and nourished. It should be used 2x a week.