The skin under the eyes is one of the thinnest areas in the human body. The delicate and fine textured under-eye skin is defenseless against dark circles, puffiness, under-eye bags, discoloration, and fine lines, which make your face look sleepy, exhausted, dull, and tired-looking. People always think that not taking proper sleep or overstressing the eyes are the reasons for dark circles but it’s not always lack of sleep that causes under-eye bags or dark circles.
Let’s know the underlying causes of dark circles:
Dark circles are normal nowadays. 9 out of 10 people have this issue. There are a number of possible reasons for dark circles under your eyes. The worst thing is when we take care of our under-eyes by putting cucumber slices, taking adequate sleep, and following proper skincare, still, these dark bags under the eyes stay with us.
Scroll down to know the endless list which causes dark circles:
What causes dark circles under the eyes?
- Lack of sleep: When you’re low on energy, or really tired, feeling fatigued, the blood vessels under the eyes start to swell and fluid starts to accumulate under the eyes. Being tired while you are sleep-deprived makes your delicate under eyes look dull, dark, puffy, and exhausted.
- Aging: Aging, a natural process is one of the most common causes of dark circles. As you age, the skin under your eyes becomes loose, saggy, and thin due to which the blood vessels under your eyes become visible over time. This darkens the appearance which causes, dark circles and under-eye bags.
- Allergies: Dark circles can be triggered by dryness under the eyes by rubbing them a lot or by allergic reactions. The allergic reactions could include symptoms like redness, inflammation, itchiness, and puffiness of the eyes. These allergic reactions make you rub your under-eye constantly which can make the condition even worse. This can cause dark circles.
- Hormonal Imbalance: No matter what you do, if dark circles are your religious companion, you may have a hormonal imbalance.
- Physical and mental stress: Dark circles share a deeper connection with stress. When you’re stressed, physically or mentally, more blood is directed to your main body organs leaving your face looking, pale, dull, and drained, which makes the blood vessel appear more noticeable. Hence, gives rise to dark circles.
- Eyestrain: Eye straining is one of the major causes of dark circles and under-eye bags. If you are continuously working and staring at your system screens all day long, it will cause the enlargement of blood vessels beneath your eyes, resulting in dark circles.
- Prolonged sun exposure: Being in sun for too long, triggers our body, which increases the production of a pigment known as melanin. Melanin increases the color of the skin, which is also a cause of dark circles.
- Deficiency of Iron and Anaemia: Iron deficiency or anaemia can cause dark circles beneath your eyes. Anaemia is a condition in which haemoglobin or RBC (red blood cells) is less than the expected count. Due to this, our eyes did not get the proper amount of oxygen, which resulted in dark circles.
- Dehydration: Dehydration is the most common cause of under-eye circles. When there is a lack of water in our body and it is not hydrated well, the skin under your eyes starts to look dull, dark, and pale.
- Genetics: Family history or genetics also plays a role in developing under-eye dark circles. This inherited trait can be seen in early childhood. Other body conditions such as thyroid also cause dark circles.
Do dark circles go away?
Yes, dark circles can definitely go away and after that, you will be the attractive version of yourself. Having dark circles is not a serious issue but they indicate the deficiencies we have in our bodies. As you read above the causes of dark circles and bags under the eyes, some of the causes may not be in our control but we can control other reasons that cause dark circles by just changing our eating habits, our lifestyle, and adding an under eye cream in our skincare routine. All these changes in routine, will not only reduce fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes but also make your eyes appear healthy, youthful, and glowing.
How to get rid of dark circles?
- Adequate sleep: Getting proper sleep reduces the appearance of dark circles. It is important to sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours to give your eyes the proper amount of rest they need. While sleeping, elevate your head so that blood can travel away from enlarged blood vessels due to lack of sleep, which could lessen the puffiness and darkness beneath the eyes.
- Reduce sun exposure: One can reduce dark circles by protecting their eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays. Try not to stay in the sun for so long because UV radiation will darken your under-eye dark circles. Protect your eyes with hats, sunglasses, and most importantly sunscreen to reduce the effect caused by UV rays.
- Moisturizing: Moisturizer provides moisture and hydration to the skin and makes it plump, smooth and soft. When you apply moisturizer to your face do not forget your under-eye area. Moisturizing your eye area is as much important as moisturizing your face is. So, remember not to forget your eyes.
- Proper hydration: Drink water as much as you can. Water and other healthy fluids, that we get from fruits, juices, and milk will keep our skin hydrated. Intake of these healthy fluids reduces bags under the eyes, dark circles, and puffiness. Also, it will bring a healthy glow.
- Consuming proper nutrients: Lack of nutrients and vitamins such as Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, D, E, and K results in dark circles. The deficiency of these will cause capillaries to break around the eye area, which can darken your eye area. So try to consume a diet rich in these vitamins to get rid of under-eye bags and dark circles
- Under eye cream: Last but not the least, and for sure the best- THE UNDER EYE CREAM! Dark circles may not be permanent, but they can be treated with dermatologist-recommended treatment. And for this Fixderma brings the best under eye care that not only targets dark circles but also focuses on diminishing fine lines and wrinkles, reducing puffiness beneath the eyes, tightening saggy skin, hydrating the skin, and making your eyes visibly youthful.
Eyegile-AM & PM is the best dermatologist-recommended under-eye treatment for all your under-eye issues. This treatment contains AM & PM routine, which is not only lightweight and is non-comedogenic also. Infused with Niacinamide, Kakadu Plum, Hyaluronic Acid, Peptides, and other powerful melanin controlling and moisturizing agents, it gives a brighter and radiant appearance while visibly reducing signs of stress and aging. And you know what the best part is, it suits all skin types without causing irritation.
Read more - How To Remove Dark Spots On Face